Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Kumquat

So, each week I get these random, often annoying and numerous, emails from babycenter.com, just to remind me that I'm pregnant. I'm so thankful for these reminders because I could so easily forget with all the nausea, exhaustion, backaches, sleepless nights, and hormones. At any rate, this is week ten of pregnancy and I am actually starting to feel less nauseous which is a very good thing. All other symptoms remain very much present, especially the rapidly exploding waist, which has me thinking I need to fish out those stored maternity clothes a bit earlier than I originally anticipated. Here's this week's update from babycenter.com.

Though she's barely the size of a kumquat — just an inch or so long — and weighs less than a quarter of an ounce, she's completed the most critical portion of her development. Now is the beginning of the fetal period, when her tissues and vital organs mature rapidly. Her liver, kidney, intestines, brain, and lungs are in place and starting to function, and they'll continue to develop throughout your pregnancy. During the next three weeks, your baby's length will more than double to nearly 3 inches.


I couldn't remember what a kumquat was so I found this image. It's not a fruit we buy regularly. Over the next few weeks and months, I think babycenter.com will compare baby's size to more common fruits like limes, oranges, honeydews, and cantaloupes. With our genetic mix, I think watermelons and giant pumpkins may be a better comparison. Remember, Little Philip was 9 pounds and arrived 10 days early.

It's funny that this week babycenter.com refers to baby as a girl. If you ask Little Philip, he will tell you Mommy is having a baby girl. If you ask him if he wants a brother or a sister, he will tell you he wants a sister. We shall see if he is right sometime in November. And yes, I am finding out the sex. I think we've had quite enough surprises lately!

1 comment:

Clan Hill said...

My Brother referred to me as his "boy baby sister". He was very disappointed when I popped out a girl.